Crazy events that were in the Olympics
The first ancient Olympic Games can be traced back to 776 BC and were dedicated to the Olympian gods. The games would have been staged at Olympia and continued for nearly 1200 years , until 393 A.D when Emperor Theodosius decreed that it was a “pagan cults” and was banned.
The Ancient games would have included:
Running / Jumping / Discus Throw
- the stade race (200m foot race),the diaulos (two stades – 400m foot race),dolichos (ranging between 7 and 24 stades).
- Athletes used stone or lead weights called halteres to increase the distance of a jump. They held onto the weights until the end of their flight, and then jettisoned them backwards.
- These included horse races and chariot races and took place in the Hippodrome.
- This was highly valued as a form of military exercise without weapons. It ended only when one of the contestants admitted defeat.
- This was a primitive form of martial art combining wrestling and boxing, and was considered to be one of the toughest sports.
There have been however some crazy events in the modern Olympics which are (thankfully?) no longer included:
- Tug of war
- Poodle Claping
- fire fighting
- Solo synchronized swimming
- Plunge diving.
- Delivery van driving
- Swimming obstacle race
- Water skiing
- Rope climbing
- Live pigeon shooting
- Hot air ballooning