Interesting Facts About Your Eyes
Your eyes are one the most amazing organs in the human body and the muscles that control your eyes are the most active. A typical human being blinks up to twelve times per minute and our eyes are about one (1) inch across and weigh 0.25 ounce.
It is a fact that we pay less attention to eye care and treated our eyes less than they are to be treated. Therefore, it is only when our vision starts to deteriorate that we tend to act but our eyes are far too critical for us not to correct our area of behavior as it relates to our two beautiful eyes. I have compiled some of the most interesting facts about the eyes that will be beneficial and it is sure to add value to your knowledge base.
- It is interesting to know that our eyes actually begin to develop two weeks after we were conceived.
- Secondly, the entire length of all the eyelashes shed by a human in their life is over 98 feet with each eye lash having a life span of about 5 months.
- Thirdly, our eyes are well positioned in a hollowed eye socket for protection purposes and as part of his beautiful and wonderful creation. Our eyebrows prevent sweat from dripping into our eyes and eyelashes that are strategically placed to keep dirt out of our eyes.
- Fourthly, It sounds unbelievable though it a fact that our eyeballs remain the same size from birth upon until death as opposed to our nose and ears which continue to grow.
- The human eye is poised of over two (2) million working parts.
- It is a fact only one sixth (1/6) of the human eyeball is exposed.
- It is also an interesting fact that our corneas are the only tissues that don’t have blood as opposed to all the other tissues in the human body.
- The eye was developed in such a way that scientist, surgeons and medical practitioners fail to do a successful eye transplant. The fact that more than one million nerve fibers connect each eye to the brain explains why reconstructing those connections seems impossible.
- A significant 80% of our memories are determined by what we see.
- It is scientifically proven that eyes heal very quickly. If treated by trained and highly skilled professionals offering proper eye care services, it will take approximately 48 hours to repair a minor corneal scratch.
- It is also amazing and good to know that humans and dogs are the only species known to seek visual cues from another individual’s eyes, and dogs only do this when interacting with humans.
- The eyes are a more acceptable form of identification due to the fact that a fingerprint has 40 unique characteristics but an iris has 256, a reason retina scans are increasingly being used for security purposes.
- You also need to know that “Red eye” occurs in photos because light from the flash bounces off the back of the eye. The choroid is located behind the retina and is rich in blood vessels, which make it appear red on film.
- The vast majority (80%) of what we learn is through our eyes.
- Eyes are the second most complex organ after the brain.